Tuesday, July 6, 2010

FALAFEL WITH PITA

        Falafel is made from fava beans or chickpeas or a combination of the two. The Egyptian variety uses fava beans, while the use of chickpeas is predominant in other Middle Eastern countries. Palestinians and Yemenite Jews in Jerusalem have historically prepared falafel only from chickpeas. The beans are not cooked prior to use. Instead they are soaked with baking soda, then ground together with various ingredients including onion, parsley, sesame seeds, and spices such as cumin and coriander. The mixture is shaped into balls or patties. This can be done by hand or with a tool called an aleb falafel. The mixture is then deep fried.

         
       I did not make them the traditional way but I used falafel mix instead. I added 2 cups of water and a little flour (because it was to liquidy), to the falafel mixture. Then I shaped the patties and deep fried them in canola oil until they floated and were golden brown. After I let them cool in a paper towel lined dish. I served them with Greek pitas and a tahini sauce and shredded iceberg lettuce.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment